Monday, September 8, 2008

Remains of the Day I

OMG Ms. Clapp.. "imitate his syntax" that's such a cruel and usual punishment! (I believe I won't like this book too much.. it resembles the main character's syntax in "The Catcher and the Rye," but in a more sophisticated, elegant way. And I hated that book...)Speaking of his syntax (which I would not be caught dead imitating), Mr. Stevens is excessively wordy in his way of speaking; not to mention that he always manages to get off topic. However, his very conservative ways go hand-in-hand with whom he really is. I can't accurately say who he is thus far in the book, but through his way of handling matters (emotionless to any comment or criticism made to him, direct, short-worded answers) I can tell that he is somewhat secretive and/or afraid or ashamed of a past event.Another proof of his “secretive” past is how he is always attempting to define "What is dignity" and "What is a great butler." Through various examples of his father, he comes up with the definition of dignity and what it means to be a great butler: "And let me tell you this, 'dignity' has to do crucially with a butler's ability not to abandon the professional being he inhabits... The great butlers are great by virtue of their ability to inhabit their professional role and inhabit it to the utmost; they will not be shaken out by external events, however surprising, alarming, or vexing." (42) With all the examples he gives of his father, the righteousness in his manner of speaking, and the way he is somehow superior to everyone I sense that he wants us to trust him so that he can confide in us that certain past event that changed him. The book "How to Read Literature Like a Professor" states that every journey is a quest to find oneself (except when it’s not…). Even though Stevens is going on a short vacation (aka the journey) I believe he's not out to find himself; he knows who he is: a confidential butler, who takes pride in his job. But he goes out to reveal a mistake; to relieve himself of an agonizing emotion that is taking over him (perhaps a mistake that happened with Miss Kenton…?)In the “How to Read” Foster says that tall buildings symbolize male sexuality and landscape symbolizes female sexuality. Does this mean that when Stevens comments on “the English landscape seen at its best” (44) and says that “when one encounters them, one simply knows one is in the presence of greatness” of England, he’s really commenting on the women? I was hoping to find him in some kind of terrible un-butler like situation, but I believe I’m over reading the text… However, I do agree with Katie when she says that the landscape reminds her of Stevens because it “lacks drama.” So true!Commenting on Dario’s idea of “the butler in each of us”… I hadn’t pictured it that way, but the way you explained it does make sense. So, when we are submissive and respond to authority that would make us Mr. Stevens, and when we rebelled that would make us Miss Kenton (because she obviously left Stevens to pursue her own desires in life)? On the other hand, we are not servants or forced to be submissive. We do it to be respectful and polite. Stevens did it because it was his living, his means of getting bread and a roof over his head… he HAD to do it…Oh yes.. I’m really hoping for some rain in this book so that I can put my professor reading skills to work! Hahaha

No comments: