Monday, September 8, 2008

Things Fall Apart I

Hey guys, it's Alinne! I'd like to first start off by giving my insights and then answering some of our questions...I did some research on Chinua Achebe's history and I was excited to learn that the people's names and the different clans of Umuofia were actual places in his motherland. He infused his heritage in the story, which gave it more meaning. The character that I least like, and almost hate, is Okonkwo! It's not because he beats his wives or is so violent and sexist (that is normal in their world), but because he has a fear of being portrayed as a woman (which, I know from experience that their is absolutely NOTHING wrong with that; it's actually very awesome!!) His fear is driving him to insanity, making him do extremes, even break the clan's rules. I detest entirely that Okonkwo does not show feelings. How honest is a man if he has to hide what is the most respected aspect of a human?Achebe makes him out to be such an inhuman character that we can't help but hope that a tragic event happens in his life. I lost my respect for Okonkwo's character when he took part in killing his adopted son, Ikemefuna. Not only did Ikemefuna respond to Okonkwo as a father, but he helped in the growth of Okonkwo's eldest son Nwoye. One of the elders specially told Okonkwo to NOT help kill Ikemefuna, and what did Okonkwo do? He helped kill him! To me, that is not a sign of a "man" but the epitome of a coward. I hoped that Okonkwo suffered more for killing a person he grow to like. As much as I do not like how Achebe incorporates all those different language words in the book, it sets the atmosphere for the book, and really helps us get into the "Umuofia Mode" as I call it. =)1. Why is it that one of Okonkwo's wife is always referred to "Nwoye's mother?" 2. It sounds silly to ask, but considering Achebe incorporates his own past experiences in the book, does a place like Umuofia really exist? I can never image it existing...And to answer the questions: To Marrissa: I feel NO sympathy for Okonkwo! I do realize he built his reputation from scratch, but the way I see it, any person could have done that. I do not see him as any better than any other character in the book; in fact, i see him in a negative light. Isn't Okonkwo the only character in the book that continuously beats his wives? And Okonkwo's character is so incredibly sexist. I really detest how he only shows angry feelings towards people. I tend to believe that people's good qualities usually out way their bad characteristics, but with Olonkwo, it doesn't. Whenever he speaks in the book, I feel that he's shouting at the top of his lungs to get his point across, and I just want to get into the book and tell him to SHUT UP; THE CHARACTERS ARE NOT DEAF! (LOL) I believe that the author chooses to do this for some irony at the end of the book... As for Unoka, Okonkwo's father, I feel somewhat sympathetic towards him. Of course, he couldn't maintain a family, and he was poor, lazy, and didn't try, but the fact that he was happy, caring, and had a good humor (he did find humor when that man came to ask him for the money he owed him!), proves that unlike his son, he did have good qualities. The author gives Unoka qualities and doesn't care to save any for Okonkwo, because he wants to emphasize Okonkwo's inhuman character. To Kris10: Okonkwo did not murder a female. The book says on page 124: "In the center of the crowd a boy lay in a cast... Okonkwo's gun had exploded and a piece of iron had pierced the boy's heart... The crime was of two kinds, male and female. Okonkwo had committed the female, because it had been inadvertent. He could return to the clan after seven years." This means that Okonkwo killed a boy of 16, and because he did it by accident he would have to leave the clan and return in seven years. Later, Achebe writes that if he had committed a male crime, which would mean that if he killed a man on purpose he would leave the clan and never be able to return. To Katie: I also had the question of why Okonkwo wanted Ezinma to be a man. What I came to the conclusion of was that it wasn't so much that he didn't love his daughter, but he was disappointed in his son Nwoye's character. He wanted Nwoye, his eldest, to be like him. But instead he saw laziness in Nwoye and perceived him to be like a woman. On the other hand, Ezinma was seen as the perfect child. She was obedient, did her duties, and more, without complaining, was loved by many, and had beauty. To Okonkwo, Ezinma should have been a boy because she would not have embarrassed her father as much as Nwoye was; she would have lived up to his expectations of a "man."I believe Achebe uses the beating of wives, and other elements, to emphasize difference in our society and the clan's lives. I found it greatly insulting that the clan "throws away" twins, while in reality we (Americans) desire them. This, among other absurd rules of the clan, adds to the savageness of the clan. And to Matt: I do NOT like the main character, so I'm hoping we're not intended to! Achebe describes him in such inhuman and exaggerated, mean characteristics that if anyone out there possibly likes Okonkwo he either is from Okonkwo's clan or is sexist. Later guys! =)

No comments: